Wednesday-Only Salmonella Rapid Surveillance for Equine Facilities
See links at left for specific sample collection instructions and other relevant information. A printable instruction sheet is also available.
Please note: This test is performed on Wednesdays only.
- The Cornell AHDC now has a Salmonella Spp. environmental surveillance program for equine facilities with next-day result availability. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your facility for this testing program.
- Surveillance samples must be submitted (be in the lab) on Wednesday each week by 3 PM. Samples should be collected Tuesday and shipped overnight, or collected Wednesday morning and hand delivered to the lab.
- If not shipping directly to the lab, store samples at refrigeration temperature until they are packaged for shipping as directed. Samples must not be collected more than 5 days prior to expected delivery to the laboratory.
- Samples arriving on other days or after 3pm will be processed by routine Salmonella culture testing. If there is a need for expedited results on a different day, contact email@example.com to make STAT arrangements (additional fees will apply).
- A combination of enrichment culture and PCR will be performed for $30 per sample.
- Screening results will be reported by 5pm on Thursday.
- PCR-positive samples will be further cultured in order to determine bacterial viability and positive cultures will be serogrouped. Culture, serogroup and serotype identification of Salmonella Sp isolated will incur an additional charge of $30.00 per sample tested.
- A preliminary Salmonella culture report for PCR positive samples will be available in 48 hours. Serogroup results will be reported within 3-5 days.
- Antibiotic sensitivity testing is available if desired for an additional $25.00 per isolate and the results will be reported within 3-5 days.