- Red Maple Syndrome in Horses: This year we took on an undergraduate student researcher who is investigating the cause of Red Maple Poisoning in Horses with us, hoping to identify the causative toxic compounds.
- Wheat/DON Study: A Collaborative Wheat/Deoxynivalenol (DON) study with Dr. Gary Bergstrom of Plant Pathology at Cornell. This study is a continuation of work done in 2009 where we quantified the mycotoxin DON in various portions/fractions of the wheat from a field previously inoculated with Fusarium graminearum. This fungus is the causal agent of head blight of wheat and also produces two major mycotoxins, Zearalenone and Deoxynivalenol (DON), both having potential health consequences to livestock and people. Our findings and detection of DON in the straw portions have not been documented previously, to our knowledge. Currently, we are comparing inoculated wheat to wheat not inoculated with Fusarium graminearum and analyzed for the presence of DON in the fractions as above. Another on-going study is on the effect of ensiling on DON concentrations in corn.
- CUAES Hatch Project, Assessing the fate of drugs in livestock mortality and manures, J. Bonhotal, K. Bischoff. $90,000/year, Project Period 09/01/2009-09/01/2012. This study will determine the environmental fate of veterinary drugs in composed animals and manure.
- Cornell 4-Poster Deer Permethrin Project on Shelter Island: This project is collaborative study with Cornell wildlife biologists and the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) involving the assessment of Permethrin residue concentrations in edible tissues of deer harvested on Shelter Island. This has been an ongoing study since 2006.
- Deer Selenium Study: Assessment of Selenium concentrations in livers from wild deer in the Ithaca N.Y. area in conjunction with the Earn-A-Buck Hunter Program at Cornell University and deer from Shelter Island in NYC area.
- Sulfur in Bovine Study: RAC Seed Grant, Evaluation of Sulfur Concentrations in Bovine Urine, Kidney, and Liver, C.G. Lamm, S.E. Morgan, J.D. Taylor, K. Bischoff. $3,413, Project Period 01/01/2010-12/31/2010. This study will determine if tissue and urine sulfur concentrations are different in cattle with sulfur-induced polioencephalomalacia.
- Memorandum of Understanding with National Research and Quarantine Service, Anyang, Republic of Korea: For joint projects including mycotoxin detection, biomarkers for lead and other heavy metals, and phytotoxin detection, K. Bischoff, H.G. Kang. $60,000/year, Project Period: 7/01/08-6/30/11. Funding for this project has been used to determine the use of aminolevulinic acid (ALA) for lead in cattle, the DON and red maple studies above, and will be used to develop a method for detection of Amanita spp mushroom toxins in the future.
A total of 7 scientific papers were published by Toxicology in 2010
- H.G. Kang, K. Bischoff, J.G. Ebel, S.H. Cha, J. McCardle. Comparison of blood lead and blood and plasma δ-aminolevulinic acid concentrations as biomarkers for lead poisoning in cattle (2010). JVDI November issue.
- T. McComb ,* K. Bischoff, B. Thompson, M.C. Smith, H.O. Mohammed, J.G. Ebel, J.R. Hillebrandt. An investigation of blood selenium concentrations of goats in New York State (2010). JVDI 22: 696-701.
- K. Bischoff, C. Gaskill, H.N. Erb, J.G. Ebel, J.R. Hillebrandt. Comparison of 2 methods for blood lead analysis in cattle: graphite-furnace atomic absorption spectrometry and LeadCare® II system (2010). JVDI 22: 729-733.
- C. Lamm,* K. Bischoff, H.N. Erb, C.L. Guard, J.R. Hillebrandt, B. Thompson, B.L. Njaa. Trace-mineral concentrations in dairy cattle with rupture of abdominal-artery aneurysm (2010). Bovine Practitioner: 44: 36-41.
- K. Bischoff, H. Priest,* A. Mount-Long. Animals as sentinels in lead poisoning: a case report (2010). J Med Toxicol 6: 185-189.
- C. L. Miller, K.L. Bischoff, B. Hoff. Polyacrylamide ingestion leading to fatal intestinal obstruction in two birds in a zoo collection (2009). J Avian Med Surg 23(4):286-289.
- H.G. Kang, S.H. Jeong, M.R. Cho, J.H. Cho, K. Bischoff. Time dependent changes in lead and delta-aminolevulinic acid after subchronic lead exposure in rats (2009). Human and Exper Toxicol. 28: 647-654.
Invited National and International Seminars and Presentations: Karyn Bischoff
- Lead poisoning and residues in domestic cattle. October 22, 2010, Korean Society of Veterinary Science. Kyngjoo, Republic of Korea.
- Lead poisoning and residues in domestic cattle. October 20, 2010. Hoseo University. Asan City, Republic of Korea.
- Case Studies in Toxicology. October 19, 2010. National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service, Anyang, Republic of Korea.
- Case Studies in Toxicology. October 18, 2010. College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
Other seminars and presentations: Karyn Bischoff
- A Dog with a Whale of a Problem. November 12, 2010, American Association of Diagnosticians/American Association of Comparative Veterinary Toxicologists Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
Other seminars and presentations: Joseph Ebel
- Jack D. Henion; Daniel Eikel; Chris Alpha; Simon J. Prosser; Joseph Ebel; Geoffrey S. Rule; TLC-MS/MS: Integrated Liquid Surface Sampling-Nano Electrospray Determination of Small Drug Molecules from Thin Layer Chromatography Plates. Poster Presentation at ASMS Conference 2010.
- Proper Samples for Analysis and Toxicological Evaluation; March 1, 2010. Presented to Veterinary Students Toxicology Class NYS College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University.